Tuesday 1 March 2016

Top tips for going vegan

I've recently made the transition from a vegetarian/pescetarian to a vegan after a lot of post reading and YouTube videos making sure I was armed with a load of knowledge and some recipes to fall back onto. So I thought I'd write a post on my top tips, things that would make it easier if you're thinking about ditching the meat and dairy (which I seriously recommend, I feel AMAZING). 

Be prepared
This sounds simple and really it is, make sure your cupboards and fridge are full of things that are easy and to hand to eat. Love milk and cheese? Arm yourself with vegan options if the craving hits you. I actually drink more milk substitutes now than I drank milk. Coconut, soya, almond, hazelnut, rice & oat are all out there on the 'long life milk' isle waiting to be found. 

Read up/ look up
This is one I did a lot of to get some recipe ideas which have ranged from salad inspo, smoothie bowl mixes & lentil curry options. I also looked up some local vegan cafes that I can't wait to explore in the future. I found that my local family run health shop has a fantastic array of vegan friendly products which makes life so much easier for me. As well as that, I am supporting local businesses rather than large corporations which is something I love about living in a small town. 

Open your eyes
Okay, not to be patronising here but if you really open your eyes to this way of life you can see that it's not that restrictive. Think you're limited to salads when you go out to eat? Think again. Big chains like Nandos cater to vegans! A veggie pitta minus the Mayo with chips is completely vegan and perfect if you're going out with nonvegans. Holland and Barrett also have possibly the best vegan selection - especially the cheese and frozen food bit. Tesco's have a huge chilled/frozen 'free-from' selection whereas I find Sainsbury's has the best dry selection (vegan chocolate is what it's all about). 

I hope these tips have been useful for anyone considering the change or those just interested in a different type of post. I think veganism has a bit of a bad online rep as there are many passionate vegans who choose more aggressive methods of discussing veganism. I hope that I can use my blog as a platform to discuss it in a positive manner, as well as exposing how easy it really is to make the change! 

Vegan Nandos 

Vegan chocolate 

No comments:

Post a Comment