Thursday 22 August 2013

First Time University Go-er?

As results day is now wayyy out of the way and university places have been confirmed its time to get super excited (and somewhat nervous) about actually going to university, moving away from home (in some cases), meeting new people and generally growing up. I can't believe it's been a year since I was going through the same thing as many of you guys! So I thought I'd create a list of tips and advice after looking back in hindsight I did/didn't do enough of to embrace the change.

Social Media
This was the best thing ever in my experience for settling my nervs about meeting new people as I got there on moving in day able to look out and recognise my neighbours from already chatting on twitter/facebook. I found that it also made the 'first meet' easier, having people come up to me saying 'hey its Jess isn't it?' made it a lot easier than walking around introducing myself constantly. It also helps you get some kind of idea who you're going to be living and sharing with!

Open Your Door
I'm sure I was told this by all my teachers, countless 'Freshers' facebook pages and the likes. It actually does work. Not only is it perfect to nosey at people walking past whilst unpacking it makes it easier for others to pop their head in, whether to introduce themselves or comment on something in your room, it's again just another way to get conversations going.


Dress Up
Believe me I'm not a fan of fancy dress. I usually find the whole scenario cringey as hell, but, that's why in Freshers week it just WORKS. It's such a good way to break any awkwardness and be able to laugh at each other and yourself whilst looking like complete tools. My University's 'dress up night' was  a 'Beach Party' which ended up being a conversation starter with people wearing tops sporting 'girls holiday' destinations on the front making us compare notes! 

I'm sure theres a million other things that other people will tell you to do but these three really helped me and the dressing up was pretty hilarious, we still laugh about it now. Most of all just ENJOY your first year of university and make the most of every second, it'll fly! 


I told you we looked like tools!

No comments:

Post a Comment